(This secret recipe
keeps me off
the world’s-worst-gravy-maker chart
which I have been on
most of my life!)
Make Ahead Turkey Gobble-up Gravy
Makes 8 beautiful, fantastic, non-lumpy, delicious, I-can’t-believe-I-actually made-this and it worked cups.
You can freeze up to one month in airtight container
so you can do it right now
and have it ready in time
for your Thanksgiving festivities
with no worries!
Refrigerate 2 days to thaw and heat in a saucepan whisking often.
4 Turkey Wings (about 3 to 4 lb)
2 medium onions peeled and quartered
8 cups chicken broth
¾ c. chopped carrots
½ t. dried Thyme
¾ c. flour
2 T. stick butter
½ t. ground pepper
- Heat oven to 400° F. Have ready a large roasting pan, 5-6 qt pot or 3 qt. saucepan.
- Put wings in a single layer in roasting pan; scatter onions on top. Roast 1 ¼ hours or until wings are browned.
- Transfer wings and onions to pot. Add 6 cups broth (refrigerate remaining 2 cups), the carrots and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 1 ½ hours.
- Remove wings. When cool pull off skin and meat. Discard skin, save meat for some yummy soup later.
- Strain broth into saucepan, pressing vegetable to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard vegetables, skim, fat off broth. (If time permits, refrigerate overnight so fat that rises to the top solidifies and can be easily removed.)
- Whisk flour into remaining 2 cups broth from refrigerator until blended and smooth.
- Bring broth in saucepan to a gentle boil. Whisk in flour mixture and boil 4-5 minutes to thicken gravy and remove floury taste. Stir in butter and pepper.
- Final tip on Thanksgiving Day (optional), After turkey is roasted and removed from the pan add the drippings minus the fat to the heated gravy. But you don’t need to, it is so flavorful and delicious!
YOU WILL LOVE IT!