One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats.” Iris Murdoch
Have you treated yourself yet this summer?
If not, today is your day!
1. Today I saw a very elderly man with a wet suit and surf board jump in the Pacific Ocean and I smiled…He was treating himself!
2. Yesterday I watched a young man on a ladder shine the longest, largest trailer I have ever seen. As I drove by in the morning the dull dirty siding was just beginning to start to shine in only one corner. As I drove by again that evening the entire thing was sparkling. He treated himself.
3. Once I signed up in the summer to be in a sidewalk pastel art contest that I visited as an onlooker at a vacation spot many times in the past. I won second place. But the award wasn’t my treat. It was drawing the 12 foot by 8 foot drawing on the hot cement and having a blast as tons of onlookers watched me create. That was such a treat.
4. A few weeks ago I began to water my flowers in the dusk which is a treat in itself, but I did it so I could stand watch as fireflies lit their lanterns to start the night sky in that magical way. I am always amazed when I see this. That’s a total summer treat.
5. I made homemade milk shakes for a bunch of cheering teenagers and I drank the extra. That is such a treat!
6. I treated myself and an 87 year old woman to a clam chowder picnic at the beach who hadn’t been there in years. That was such a treat!
7. I plan to treat myself to a Lake Tahoe sun set, a rock on a balcony swing with a new baby, a night of old fashioned board games with my entire family, a yummy vanilla soft serve ice cream on a cone that is a little bit soggy, a day with my feet in the sand, a novel in my hand under an umbrella,…
8. AND I LOOK FORWARD TO THE TREATS THAT ARE IN STORE FOR ME IN THE NEXT SEVERAL WEEKS OF SUMMER THAT I DON’T EVEN KNOW ABOUT YET. THOSE WONDERFUL SURPRISE TREATS THAT MAKE SUMMER SPONTANEOUS AND WONDERFUL!
Go treat yourself! You deserve it.
Have fun with it!